Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Review: What I saw and How I Lied

Title: What I saw and How I Lied


Author: Judy Blundell

Why I picked it up: Judy Blundell's Star Wars novels (the Jedi apprentice series, published under her pen name Jude Watson) were some of my favorite middle-grade novels growing up.

Summary (Goodreads): Murder and intrigue surround a girl in this mystery set in American in the aftermath of WWII. When Evie's father returned home from World War II, the family fell back into its normal life pretty quickly. But Joe Spooner brought more back with him than just good war stories. When movie-star handsome Peter Coleridge, a young ex-GI who served in Joe's company in postwar Austria, shows up, Evie is suddenly caught in a complicated web of lies that she only slowly recognizes. She finds herself falling for Peter, ignoring the secrets that surround him . . . until a tragedy occurs that shatters her family and breaks her life in two.

Opinion: I think I had such high expectations for this one that I basically set myself up for disappointment. I love the author, but the main character was a little too "damsel in distress" for me at times, though she did have a tough streak. The plot itself was interesting and the setting was unique and fun to read about. It's a good, fun read, but nothing exceptional.

Ratings
Girl Power: 3.5 (Evie's a strong and likable protagonist, but she's a bit too easily swayed for my taste).
Writing Style: 4 (consistently good with a few gems here and there)
Plot: 4 (good, consistent, keeps you turning the pages)
Overall: 4

If you're looking for a historical mystery full of suspense with a touch of romance, give this a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment