Sunday, September 28, 2014

Hello and Welcome (aka who am I and why am I starting this blog)

Hi, I'm Morgan Feldman, currently finishing a Master's degree in Creative Writing at Oxford-Brookes University. I love writing, in case that isn't apparent. I have a completed contemporary YA novel I'm currently seeking representation for, one I (foolishly and ashamedly) self-published a few years back, several short stories, and several fantasy novels in the work. I also write Lord of the Rings Fanfiction and silly poems in my free time. That being said, I also read. A lot.

I've been an avid reader from a young age. I grew up idolizing Frodo Baggins, Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, Sherlock Homes, Peter Parker, Captain Kirk... Then it struck me, all my role models were males. I started to wonder why, considering I'm perfectly comfortable as a female. I realized that I just really liked heroes. Main characters. The ones who had grand adventures and kind hearts willing to sacrifice anything for the greater good. I thought about the main things I'd seen and read. Where were the girls? At home or on the sidelines, waiting to be saved. Well no more. Times are changing, my friends. Women can save the day just as well as men--just check out this blog to see where they're already doing it.

What you will NOT find here:
Twilight. Romeo and Juliet. Snow White, Cinderella, etc. Stories which feature girls as purely a love interest or whose one great feat was falling in love. Not that I have anything against these books, they just don't belong here.

What you will find:
News, reviews, character analysis, writing tips and more for strong female driven or supported plots. Well rounded females. Think Hermione Granger, Katniss, Eowyn, Alice (from wonderland). It's not the absence of romance we're looking for here, but something more that defines them, letting the romance fall as a secondary plot.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to loose the hansom heroes and the sexy scoundrels, but I also want to read about a kick-ass girl now and again. Where are the women wielding swords? Where are the girls who sneak away on pirate ships or join the Galactic Empire? They are out there, but they’re hard to find. Hence this blog. I’m hoping this is a space where I can share with you the fruits of my tedious digging for female heroes and hopefully discover some hidden gems in the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment